This is a refreshing summer dish made with raw vegetables in a simple broth of water, salt and olive oil. It is similar to a cold gaspacho and is great with stale bread.
2 ripe tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 red onion
1 green pepper (bell or other)
good extra-virgin olive oil
hearty stale bread, sliced (you can use any hearty country bread with a nice crust, though Pugliese frise are the best)
WHAT TO DO
1. Cut the tomatoes, onion, peppers and cucumber into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
2. Add lots of water, abundant olive oil and salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour. The end result will be almost like a cold soup or gaspacho.
3. Eat in bowls, over slices of stale bread.
1 big eggplant
(zucchini too if you wish)
extra-virgin olive oil
WHAT TO DO
1.Cut the eggplant (and zucchini) into thin slices.
2. Cook them on a grill pan, or grill, or directly over the flame on the stove until the little brown lines of grilling show up. Flip and cook on the other side.
3. Lay the grilled veggies in a large shallow dish, lightly season wtih the oil, vinegar, oil and salt. Taste the veggies before you season them, because usually they’re so flavorful they barely need seasoning. Enjoy!